Friday, May 15, 2015

Ehwaz and the 4 of Wands: A Breath of Fresh Air

This morning I pulled a rune for the general energy of my day, and a card from my Thoth deck to give me some advice about embracing it. I pulled Ehwaz and the 4 of Wands.

Ehwaz literally means "horse" and symbolizes Sleipnir, Odin's 8-legged steed (which has been a recurring theme for me lately, it seems!). This is the 19th rune in the Elder Futhark, and in simple terms deals with partnership and trust between people, positive change, and modes of transportation. Horses and humans had a deeply symbiotic relationship for so many thousands of years, and the bond between them was (and I suppose still is) sacred. Ehwaz can represent the bond of friends or romantic partners, and can indicate marriage. It can also signify movement, or travel that is necessary to achieve a goal (horse = transportation!). 


The 4 of Wands can also represent celebratory times such as weddings or marriage (or in my case, the joy of simply being at home!). This card embraces the feeling of relief - relief from everyday challenges, a positive event or shift that brings refreshing change. The wheel on this card highlights this sense of forward movement that gives wholeness to the way we experience our world. Remembering to enjoy ourselves is critical to living a rich life, and weddings and vacations certainly help us to do that. In my line of work, so do field trips!

Today a colleague and I are partnering up to take our respective classes via car and train to a major sports and entertainment venue in the downtown area. We try to build these experiences into the curriculum to give the students access to the outside world (many stay on or near campus), to give them opportunities to engage the English-speaking populace (they're all international students), and to give them a break from the typical lecture/project-based classroom routine. Ehwaz is certainly apt both in terms of partnership and travel, and the 4 of Wands encourages me to embrace the day and the breath of fresh air that it provides. Hey, even teachers need to get out of the building once in a while!

6 comments:

  1. Ha ha I think the last reason is as valid as the other ones. I can remember how I loved taking my (little) pupils on little outing like feeding the ducklings on a lovely Spring day
    I hope you have had a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure is!! I had a great time and it was a welcome respite from the normal routine. The train here is new, it's only been running for about a year, and this was the first time I'd ridden it - it was really nice! :)

      Delete
  2. Getting out is definitely a wonderful thing, such a change of perspective! And for your students, how great to interact with "real" people. I have heard many foreigners here in London complaining about the fact they never get to talk to actual Londoners :D
    Glad you had a good day, and as you say, perfect rune and cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! That is funny and ironic. You'd think that living in an English speaking country it wouldn't be too hard to find a native speaker, but our students at time really isolate themselves into "safe zones." They need a little push at times to break outside of their comfort zones :)

      Delete